BC Seniors Games Society
The BC Seniors Games Society is a volunteer based charitable organization responsible for the overall governance of the 55+ BC Games. The Society operates under a volunteer board of directors with representatives from each of the 12 designated zones throughout the province. The province is divided into 12 zones responsible for recruiting members and registering participants for the Games. The Society relies on membership and registration fees, provincial sponsors and funding from the provincial government in order to operate and provide base funding to each host community.
55+ BC Games
The 55+ BC Games are presented on an annual basis in different host communities. Each community, under it’s own registered volunteer board of directors, enlists hundreds of volunteers to help plan and stage the Games in partnership with the BC Seniors Games Society. The Games are funded by the BC Seniors Games Society, with funding provided by the provincial government through the Ministry of Tourism, Arts, Culture and Sport as well as many local Friends of the Games contributors. Hosting the Games represents an approximate $3 million economic impact on the host community and surrounding area.
The 55+ BC Games are an important part of the BC sport system and the largest annual multi-sport event in the province. The Games offer the opportunity to celebrate sport and active living with other participants from across the province and experience the hospitality of the host community.
Communities across BC are inspired by the healthy and active lifestyles of 55+ BC Games participants.
The mission of the BC Seniors Games Society is to improve the health, lifestyle and image of British Columbia’s 55+ population by:
- Organizing the 55+ BC Games as an opportunity for the 55+ population of BC to participate in physical and social activities.
- Providing a forum for participants to continue to compete.
- Promoting community awareness of the contemporary image of the 55+ population as physically active and socially engaged.
- Encouraging year round participation at the zone level through relationships with community, recreation and sport organizations.
the BC Seniors Games Society is committed to and will actively promote the following fundamental values.
The values that drive what we do:
- We support friendly competition and the lifelong mental and physical development of the 55+ participants.
- We celebrate British Columbians who are 55+ as valuable role models.
- We believe in the health and social benefits of participation.
The values that guide how we operate:
- We model the principles of openness, transparency and democracy in the governance of our Society.
- We strive for equity, diversity, inclusion and accessibility.
- We work based on trust, respect and mutual support.
- We act ethically and honestly in everything we do.
- We value volunteers highly and honour all contributions.
- We are committed to providing a safe environment in how we operate.